Walloon Writers Review invites writers and photographers to submit their original creative writing and photography about and inspired by Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. Please check back again next year!
Guidelines for submissions are as follows:
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 6, 2019 PUBLICATION RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER, 2019
- All submissions must be your original work. You retain the rights to your own work, verifying by submitting it to us that you are the only one with rights to your work and you are giving Walloon Writers Review permission to publish it in our upcoming edition.
- We accept original short stories, poetry and other creative writing forms as well as photography. The theme is exclusively Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. We invite Michigan writers and photographers as well as those with ties to the region or those who have traveled here/vacationed and or visited here.
- All materials must be suitable for a general audience.
- Writing submissions must not exceed 4,000 words.
- If your submission is included, you will receive a courtesy copy.
- You have the ability to withdraw your submission by September 15th.
- A fee is charged on Submittable. A portion of the submission fees collected are shared with area non profit organizations whose mission is to protect the natural beauty of the region.
- We can not refund submission fees.
- We are unable to comment directly on materials submitted, but, you will receive communication from Walloon Writers Review that we have received, accepted, or declined your submission.
- FINALLY…photography can be from your mobile phone but please note that it may be reprinted smaller than you expect to preserve the integrity of the photography. All photography should have a copyright symbol or watermark with your name. We will accept photography directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, but you must pay the Submittable fee.
We have such an exciting group of contributors – all types of materials from all over Northern Michigan and the UP! As much as your submission may be incredible and we hope to include everything great in our Fifth Edition, we are limited somewhat by space. Always know you are welcome to submit materials for our next edition.
Content tips: This is about a specific region – a unique, magical, beautiful, mystical, snowy, sunny, fantastic area that draws many of us back time and time again. For some of us, it’s home. Please ensure that your piece reflects an element of the uniqueness of the region and does not contain any political positioning, adult content, or graphic material. We reach a broad audience and do not publish materials addressing social, economic, political, or divisive minded issues. This is a space to celebrate cottages, cabins, tents, screen doors, snow banks, fish, sunsets, bugs, sunrises, the smell of water, the taste of the fudge, trout, pasties, marshmallows, charred hot dogs, paddling, peddling, cruising, flying, sailing, skiing, sliding, sledding, skimming, waterfalls, rocks….
Finally, thank you so much for your interest and thank you to all of the independent bookstores and libraries that carry Walloon Writers Review. We are honored.